With the replace rather than repair methodology towards consumer products, it is rare that a product gets designed, manufactured and offered to the public that will last a long time. Water heaters and light bulbs alike are designed to last a specific period of time making them consumables. The Rheem Marathon Water Heaters sets itself apart from the rest with a true and tested superior design.
The Marathon electric water heater offers these advantages:
- Technologically advanced design is clearly differentiated from short lived steel water heaters.
- It’s the most durable water heater made, with a warranty to match.
- Envirofoam™ insulation is completely free of CFC and HCFC ozone depleting gases. Marathon leads the way in environmental friendly manufacturing, design and operation.
- All wiring is run in conduit for easy control wiring.
- Tank comes complete with a factory installed vacuum relief valve, ¾” brass tee and ¾” brass nipple for easy, professional installations.
- Replaceable brass drain valve.
- Seamless blow molded polyethylene tank with no anode rod required for a corrosion free life. In most cases eliminates “rotten egg syndrome” with well water supply.
- The filament wound fiberglass outer tank is designed to be more flexible and withstand more pressure than conventional tanks.
- High temperature, commercial-grade diptubes for greater durability.
- Our unique high temperature dip tube is offset from the concave bottom, creating a “whirlpool effect” which helps prevent sediment build-up.
- Every tank includes 4′ of pipe insulation for even greater savings.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
How much more is the Marathon than a conventional water heater?
The smaller 40, 50 and 75 gallon Marathon units will cost approximately 2 to 3 times more than a basic steel water heater. That is a poor comparison though, as you are comparing a lifetime warranty product that is very well insulated, against a 5 or 6 year warranty product with minimal insulation. Installation costs for the Marathon is no more and sometimes less than for steel units.
Why should I bother, my last water heater lasted 18 years?
That’s impressive but not uncommon for older water heaters. Older water heaters had much thicker steel and more porcelain than today’s units. Since all manufacturers have cut so many costs from the manufacturing process, most steel water heaters made today will not last much longer than their warranty.
Is it worth more than a conventional water heater?
Yes. Typically it will pay for itself in energy savings over a conventional water heater. The Marathon will save you energy year after year and after five or six years it won’t have to be replaced. The cost of the water heater is usually only half your cost however. Installation is the other cost and you won’t have to pay for that and another water heater in the future. The other thing people often overlook is the inconvenience and damage to their floor and belongings when their standard water heater fails.
I am building a new house, wouldn’t gas be cheaper?
Although the use of gas may be slightly cheaper, gas water heaters are more expensive than electric units when you include the costs for venting the gas through a chimney that would not otherwise be required where a high efficient gas furnace would vent through the wall. The thing to remember is that electric water heaters are nearly 100% efficient, as all of the heat generated stays in the unit instead of some going up the flue. Also, the Marathon is like a Thermos® in that it does a better job of keeping the water hot once it has heated it. It’s the most efficient water heater made.
Many people are now building tighter, more efficient homes, and indoor air quality is becoming a concern. Any fossil fuel water heater can be a problem with carbon monoxide. You can eliminate this issue entirely with the energy-efficient Marathon.
YOUR MARATHON TANK IS WARRANTED NOT TO LEAK FOR AS LONG AS YOU OWN YOUR HOME*…
Marathon offers this no-leak promise because of its superior, non-metallic PermaGuard tank construction – a seamless blow molded polybutylene tank with a filament wound fiberglass outer tank for maximum strength. Superior performance, high-efficiency, and low operating cost…for a lifetime*!
Component parts of the Marathon water heaters such as the thermostats and elements are warranted for a period of six years from date of manufacture for all residential applications, and for three years from date of installation for agricultural applications. *
- In areas of hard water, better performance will be realized by using lower wattage elements. We encourage the use of 3800 watt or lower wattage elements in these applications.
- If you have sediment in your water, Marathon’s unique “bowl shape” bottom will allow you to efficiently and easily drain the tank and sediment. Typically drawing off five gallons of water a couple of times of year will flush out the sediment.
- If you encounter severe sediment build-up, the Marathon element ports are oversized to allow a wet/dry vacuum hose to be introduced to clean out sediment. Be sure to turn off power and follow all safety precautions.
- Paint, ink, and indelible markers may be easily removed from the polyethylene jacket of the Marathon by using vandalism/stain removers.
Tradesman Mechanical is locally owned and operated. Call 204-888-2020 and one of our team will assist you with pricing and installation of a new Marathon Water Heaters.