General Safety Rules when Dealing with Natural Gas
- Follow directions from the manufacturer for using and taking care of gas appliances. Seek professional help when necessary.
- Keep combustibles such as papers, fluids, paints, curtains and rags away from appliances.
- Keep gas ranges clean, make sure burner bowl areas are free of used matches, grease, paper, etc.
- Teach children never to light or play with the controls of any gas appliances.
- Keep the pilot lights of your gas range lit. If you put them out to save energy, a dangerous gas build-up can occur if someone accidentally turns on the range.
- Look for a certification seal when purchasing a new gas appliance. This ensures that the equipment design meets local safety standards.
- Have a fire extinguisher near gas appliances at all times. Use a CO2 or dry-chemical extinguisher for the kitchen.
- Never use your gas range to heat your home or apartment. This practice creates a serious fire hazard and puts you and your family at risk from dangerous carbon monoxide fumes.
If You Smell Natural Gas
- Do not look for the source of the smell with any open flame (even using a flashlight could be dangerous).
- If the smell is very strong, or you hear a blowing or hissing noise, leave immediately.
- If a pungent smell is noticeable but not that strong, open windows or doors and leave the facility.
- Do not use anything that could generate a spark
- Do not use the telephone
- Do not turn light switches or equipment using electricity on or off.
- Do not turn vehicle ignitions on or off.
- Go to a neighboring phone and call the fire department or 911.
IF IN DOUBT…..ACT AND BE SAFE !