- DO NOT plug a bunch of devices into one outlet or extension cord. It could overload the electrical circuit in your house and even cause a fire.
- Use extension cords or equipment that is rated for the level of amperage or wattage of the circuit that you are using.
- Make sure all electric cords are in good condition, taped down or tucked away, neat and tidy. Pets can chew on electrical cords, and people could trip over them.
- Never yank an electrical cord from the wall. Pulling on a cord can damage the appliance or the outlet.
- Be aware that unusually warm or hot outlets may be a sign that dangerous or unsafe wiring conditions exists. Unplug any devices or extension cords to these outlets and do not use until a qualified electrician has checked the wiring.
6 More Electrical safety tips for your home.
- Put safety caps on all unused electrical outlets where children have access. Covering outlets will also help save energy by stopping cold drafts.
- Know where the electrical panel and circuit breakers are located in case of an emergency.
- Do not block access to electrical panels and circuit breakers or fuse boxes.
- Label all circuit breakers and fuse boxes clearly. Each circuit should be positively identified as to which outlets or appliance it is for.
- Always use the correct size fuse or breaker. Replacing either with one of a larger size can cause excessive currents in the wiring and possibly start a fire.
- Keep all electrical things far away from water. Water provides 100% conductivity and greatly increases the chances of being electrocuted. Most electrical accidents around the house happen when people use electricity near water.
Give us a call and we can provide corrective measures to make your home safer and better. Our electrical experts are journeyman certified and ready to give you options and help make your Winnipeg home safer for you and your family.
Visit us today www.tms2020.com or call 204-888-2020.