Out of all the various issues that can impact your Winnipeg home, electrical problems are perhaps the most concerning, given the potential safety risks they present. While a plumbing problem can result in significant water damage or an Heating and Cooling issue can make you uncomfortable for a bit, an electrical malfunction can cause injuries due to electrocution and even house fires. It’s essential that you have a certified professional electrician check the wiring in your home at least once every few years. With aluminum wiring, you’re chances of having problems double or triple.
One of the most common electrical issues is the need for an electrical panel upgrade. This may seem like a harmless issue, but with the increased loads we’ve been placing on our electrical systems the past few years, it should come as no surprise that eventually, your fuse or circuit breaker box may not be able to handle the demand. This is where you can run into potentially severe side effects.
But what are the signs that you are, in fact, experiencing serious electrical problems?
FREQUENTLY BLOWING FUSES OR CIRCUIT BREAKER TRIPPING
Your circuit breakers and fuses are designed to protect your home from over current situations—though it bears mentioning that Whole Home Surge Protection is an even more effective means of ensuring your home is comprehensively protected. When part of your home’s electrical system suddenly starts to carry power beyond safety limits, the circuit breaker trips and that part of the system is shut down until the problem is resolved.
Oftentimes, a circuit breaker will trip because the circuit is overloaded. If possible, try unplugging a few things and moving them to different outlets that have less electrical demand. But it’s very likely that you’ll find the best solution is to provide a new circuit or circuits which may lead to an upgrade your electrical panel.
No, this doesn’t mean your home is haunted, though that might make for a convenient excuse, right? The primary cause of flickering lights is typically due to a short circuit or overload in the system. If it is just one lamp or other small fixture, it could be that the particular fixture is malfunctioning.
However, if an entire section of your home is impacted, then the cause or fault is likely somewhere in the home and you have a bigger issue. If you observe this type of symptom frequently, then it’s highly recommended that you give our professionals at Tradesman a call ASAP.
What we are talking about here are those instances that you put your hand on a light switch, receptacle or panel cover and discover that it’s warm to the touch. Hot spots usually indicate points in the electrical system where excessive current is flowing due to a poor connection causing a voltage drop. Electrical current that gets
diverted to an area it’s not supposed to go throws off heat due to the excess energy.
This excess heat is what you are feeling when you notice one of these hot spots. It’s an indication that you have a serious breach in the electrical system and that it could possibly cause a house fire. You don’t want to neglect this sign, so make sure you give our staff here a call for immediate repairs upon this discovery.
Contact Tradesman Mechanical today for all your Electrical needs! 204-888-2020 or visit our website at www.tms2020.com